Sunday, April 24, 2011

Count your many blessings

When I was younger my dad was always counseling me to "Enjoy being a kid." He always said it was the easiest time in life. As a teenager I thought that was a bunch of balogne. As time has gone on I have come to realize that was some pretty good advice. When you're a kid you never even think about how the food gets on the table. The past 4+ years of marriage for James and I have been filled with stresses I never imagined I'd have to face. Each time we conquer one, another seems to arise. I mean, who would have thought the year we both graduated and decided to start a family would be the hardest economic year in a loooong time? Or that we would be on our 4th car just 3 years into our marriage? It's been a rough go for us, however I think we both have truly gained wisdom beyond our years. I'm tempted to write a book after only 5 years of adulthood:)

James and I were pondering on our childhoods the other day; we shared little things that we enjoyed growing up. James and I both recall how our parents never made us kids worry when things were tight. I found it interesting how the things in life we have enjoyed the most cost little or no money at all.  For instance, one of James' favorite memories when he was younger was sitting his feet dangling in their apartment hot tub at the end of the day (kids were not allowed in) and just talking with his dad while he was in the hot tub. One of my favorite memories was, as a family, racing in teams around a lake on narrow wooden planks at the end of a family backpacking trip - all for a giant ice cream cone at "Rotten Ralfs". Those were the kind of "vacations" we took.  I am grateful for our wonderful parents who gave us nothing but happy memories growing up.

I really enjoyed watching Koby find his Easter eggs this morning. He was so excited each time he found an egg. I just started thinking how much happier we would all be if we took the time to enjoy the little things in life. Maybe someday in the future life will get easier, but for now think of how much happier we'd all be if we took the time to actually "Count (our) many blessings".

Although times have been tough, James and I have never regretted our decision to start a little family of our own. Other than Love, Family, and the Lord what else do you really need?
I am really grateful for my Savior this Easter.


"Are you ever burdened with a load of care?
Does the cross seem heavy you are called to bear?
Count your many blessings, every doubt will fly,
And you will be singing as the days go by." 


5 comments:

Rachel DeFreese said...

Oh, I completely forgot about that memory-- it's a good one! Touching words, Meg. Thankfully I get to call you family!

rjd said...

That was a fun memory--back packing to Ashland Lake:)
Glad you still remember some of those things.

The Way I See It said...

Well said Megan. I am counting my many blessings.

Bre And Drew said...

Love this post. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Megan, I really liked your blog. You do have to be grateful for what you have. Also, ask James about Hampton League :)

Scott Crandall